It’s time to shed some light on yesterday’s extended server downtime, what caused it, how it affected the game and its users, and what we intend to do about it.
The sequence of events
How our valiant programmers faced overwhelming odds to defeat «Tankopocalypse» (stress makes you terribly creative)
In a nutshell, here’s what happened:
- In 2012, a «dormant» bug popped up inside the server code. However, the chances of it actually surfacing were extremely minimal.
- Over the next few years, with every reboot, this bug was trying to surface, until…
- On Monday morning, July 11th, 2016, the bug finally made its appearance and became a really big problem.
- All users who tried to join RU1 and RU2 between 02:00 UTC and 05:00 UTC were affected.
- With every user it affected, the bug grew stronger, virtually «eating up» Pro Battle Passes, Premium Time and Double Crystal Cards on every cluster it touched (it didn’t grow any teeth though… that would’ve been disturbing).
- At 05:00 UTC, programmers shut down the servers and set out on a quest to locate the virtual lair of this nasty bug, codenamed «Tankopocalypse».
- After a marathon 13 hours of work, our programmers managed to corner the bug and crush it into oblivion
So, what now?
- Our programmers should have already returned any Pro Battle Passes, Premium Time, Double Crystal Cards, or anything else that went missing as a result of the bug. But if you find you’re still missing something from your account, please contact customer support on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you come across a glitch, error or bug (that does not involve what is mentioned in the previous point), please report it in the official Problems and Solutions thread here.
We appreciate how frustrating the whole event must have been for you. And we’re really thankful for the overwhelming support you showed us in the forums and social media.
So, we’d like to make it up to you with the following:
- From today till Sunday 17th July, all users will be receiving a Double Crystal Card… every day. (Note: You can only have one DCC at any one time).
- From Thursday 14th July till Sunday 17th July, all users will receive an additional day of Premium Account Time every day.
- From 14:00 UTC on Friday 15th July, till 02:00 on Sunday 17th July, we’ll be having 36 hours of Double Battle Funds.
Additionally, we’ll be collecting feedback from all affected users, as well as monitoring the situation closely, to make 100% sure everything has gone back to normal.
Now, a bit of a bitter pill. Unfortunately, we are unable to recover broken mission chains. We’re genuinely sorry to disappoint you on this matter, but we’ve explored all possibilities, and there really is no way for us to restore the original progress.
Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience and frustration caused by this situation, and we thank you for your patience and support. We truly appreciate it.